MELTON MOWBRAY MIDLAND STATION - PAGE 1

THE FIRST MELTON STATION WAS A TEMPORARY STRUCTURE ADJACENT TO THE DALBY ROAD BRIDGE, PROBABLY CONSTRUCED IN WOOD WITH SIMPLE BUILDINGS AND POSSIBLY WITH STEPS LEADING DOWN TO THE PLATFORMS FROM THE BRIDGE. THIS OPENED WITH THE LINE TO SYSTON ON 1st SEPTEMBER 1846.

THE PERMANENT STATION OPENED WHEN THE LINE BEYOND MELTON WAS READY FOR USE, FOR GOODS ON 20th MARCH 1848 AND TO PASSENEGRS ON 1st MAY THE SAME YEAR, AND THIS IS THE STATION THAT STILL SERVES THE TOWN TODAY. WHEN OPENED, THOUGH, IT LOOKED QUITE DIFFERENT; THERE WAS NO PORTICO OVER THE PASSENGER ENTRANCE, AND THE PLATFORMS AND TRACKS WERE COVERED BY AN OVERALL ROOF UNTIL THIS COLLAPSED UNDER THE WEIGHT OF SNOW IN 1861.  THE RIDGE AND FURROW CANOPIES WERE ERECTED IN 1871 BY RICHARDS OF LEICESTER...WHAT PROTECTED THE PASSENGERS FOR THE TEN YEARS IN BETWEEN I HAVE NO IDEA. THE PORTICO WAS ADDED IN 1879 TO MAKE THE STATION LOOK MORE IMPOSING WHEN THE OPPOSITION OPENED UP ON SCALFORD ROAD! THE BRICK WALL AND WAITING ROOM ON THE LEICESTER PLATFORM WERE BUILT WHEN THE CANOPIES WERE INSTALLED, AND THE FOOTBRIDGE WAS ERECTED IN 1897.

QUITE WHY THE ORIGINAL STATION WAS SO PLAIN IS SOMETHING OF A MYSTERY WHEN YOU LOOK AT THE ATTRACTIVE BUILDINGS AT OAKHAM AND STAMFORD ON THE SAME LINE. MELTON WAS AN IMPORTANT DESINATION FOR THE FOX HUNTING GENTRY, YET THE STATION WAS UNDISTINGUISHED TO PUT IT KINDLY.

THE STATION NAME ALTERED SEVERAL TIMES OVER THE YEARS; TO MELTON MOWBRAY SOUTH IN 1876, BO DOUBT IN RESPONSE TO THE BUILDING OF THE JOINT LINE, THEN TO MELTON MIDLAND IN 1923. IN 1950 IT BECAME MELTON TOWN, THEN BACK TO SIMPLY MELTON MOWBRAY IN 1965.

THE STATION HAD TWO SIGNAL BOXES FROM 1877, MELTON SIDINGS AND MELTON CROSSING, THE LATTER STANDING BY THE LEVEL CROSSING BY WHICH THE OAKHAM ROAD CROSSED THE LINE BEFORE THE PRESENT BRIDGE WAS BUILT IN 1900. A NEW BOX WAS OPEEND AT MELTON SIDINGS ON 3rd JULY 1892 WHICH CLOSED ON 9th AUGUST 1942 WHEN THE PRESENT BOX WAS BUILT BY THE LMS. A NEW BOX AT THE LEVEL CROSSING OPENED ON 3rd JULY 1892, WHICH WAS RENAMED MELTON STATION BOX IN 1896 AND WAS REPLACED BY A NEW BOX ON 10th OCTOBER 1904. THIS CLOSED WHEN THE LMS BOX OPENED IN 1942.

melton 1946

PROBABLY THE FIRST COLOUR PICTURE TAKEN OF MELTON STATION, IN 1946. THE LOCO IS AN EX GCR B9 4-4-0 LNER No. 6108 WHICH WAS SCRAPPED IN JUNE 1947. IT IS PROBABLY HEADING FOR THE M&GN LINE, BUT IT IS WELL AWAY FROM IT'S HOME TURF. LACK OF MAINTAINANCE DURING THE WAR YEARS IS OBVIOUS - THE OLD CROSSING COTTAGE IS ALMOST ENTIRELY DEVOID OF PAINT THOUGH WHAT THERE IS APPEARS TO BE LMS RED INDICATING THAT THE STATION WAS PROBABLY PAINTED IN RED AND CREAM. HOWEVER, IT LOOKS SO SHABBY THAT IT COULD STILL BE CARRYING MIDLAND RAILWAY PAINTWORK FROM BEFORE 1923!    PHOTO BY COLOUR RAIL.


MR STATION
AN EDWARDIAN VIEW OF THE STATION, PLASTERED IN ENAMEL ADVERTISING. THIS VIEW HAS CHANGED REMARKABLY LITTLE TODAY.



MR STATION

A VIEW OF THE STATION IN 2006, SHOWING THE 1960'S GOODS SHED. THE ORIGINAL OAKHAM ROAD FOLLOWED THE STATION APPROACH ROAD WHERE THERE WAS A LEVEL CROSSING, AND IT THEN CROSSED THE RIVER ON A THREE ARCHED STONE BRIDGE. THE BUILDING HIDING IN THE TREES IS THE FORMER WAGON REPAIR SHOP.

melton colour

THE STATION IN ABOUT 1961, TAKEN FROM THE TOP OF THE WATER SOFTENING PLANT. THE NEW GOODS SHED IS UNDER CONSTRUCTION ON THE LEFT, WITH THE ORIGINAL SHED VISIBLE BEYOND.
THE GRIME OF STEAM DAYS IS WELL ILLUSTRATED - THE CANOPIES ARE GLAZED, BUT NOT A LOT OF LIGHT WAS GETTING THROUGH!
 

MR STATION

AN EARLIER VIEW OF THE STATION TAKEN IN THE LATE 1950's, SHOWING HOW MUCH AS BEEN LOST. THE ORIGINAL GOODS SHED IS STILL THERE, THOUGH NO LONGER RAIL SERVED AS IT COULD ONLY BE ACCESSED FROM WAGON TURNTABLES, AND TO THE LEFT OF IT IS THE STATION MASTER'S HOUSE. IN THE FOREGROUND IS THE WAGON REPAIRS AREA AND THE CYLINDRICAL WATER SOFTENER WHICH TREATED THE WATER SUPPY TO THE LOCOMOTIVE WATER CRANES. A LARGE WATER TOWER STANDS BEHIND THE LEICESTER PLATFORM, AND THE FOMER LEVEL CROSSING COTTAGE CAN BE SEEN. WHAT IS NOW THE PEDIGREE PETFOODS FACTORY IS OPEN GROUND AND ALLOTMENTS, AND  THERE ARE MORE ALLOTMENTS TO THE LEFT OF THE PICTURE. AN 8F LOCOMOTIVE IS RUNNING THROUGH THE STATION TOWARDS LEICESTER WITH A GOODS TRAIN.

CLOSE UP 1

AN ENLARGEMENT OF THE STATION AREA....A LOCO AND BRAKE VAN ARE STANDING ON THE PETERBOROUGH LINE JUST TO THE RIGHT OF THE FOOTBRIDGE.

CLOSE UP 2

AN ENLARGEMENT OF THE GOODS YARD AREA.

TRACK PLAN

TOWN STATION

THE STATION ON JUNE 24th 2011, WITH WORK UNDERWAY TO REFURBISH THE 1871 CANOPIES. MUCH AS I WOULD LIKE TO SAY OTHERWISE, THE STATION BUILDING IS NOT AN ARCHITECTURAL MASTERPIECE, ESPCIALLY FROM THIS ANGLE! THE TELEGRAPH POLE IS A SURVIVOR FROM THE STEAM AGE, EVEN RETAINING THE INSULATERS.


TIMETABLES FROM 1910.

TT

TT

TT

TT

****************************

Copyright (c)2011 meltonmowbrayrailways.info & JustHost.com